Nectars Of Life – Juices & Beverages
(Excerpts from Hooked on Raw by Rhio)
- 1 cup sprouted almonds, blanched (see Glossary)
- 3 1/2 cups filtered water
- Process almonds in the blender with 1/2 to 1 cup of water until well blended, then add balance of water and blend again.
- Pour into a cotton or muslin bag or cloth and squeeze out all the milk. This is simple, plain almond milk. This milk can be enjoyed as is or flavored in various ways (see suggestions below).
Yield: almost a quart. Keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. The flavored milks (see below) keep 1-2 days. After storage, the milk separates – so shake well before using. Save the leftover almond pulp to make cookies or flour.
Sweet Almond Milk
- Take plain almond milk, put into a blender with soaked dates and a little ground vanilla bean or vanilla water (see Glossary) and blend well. Make with as many or as few dates as you like. Some people like it sweet and others prefer just a hint of sweetness.
*You can also try adding freshly ground lemon rind, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg or cinnamon, or a combination. With experimentation you will hit upon a flavor combination which will taste delicious to you.
Exotic-Flavored Almond Milk
- To 16 oz. of Sweet Almond Milk, add 1/4 tsp. rosewater and 1/8 tsp. cardamom powder. Blend well. Make sure to use food-grade rosewater, with no additives.
- Some people ask, “Why do I have to blanch the almonds?” You don’t necessarily have to, as most of the skin will come out with the pulp, but you will definitely get a sweeter tasting milk if you remove the skins.
Jicama, Beet & Pear Juices
- 1 small yellow beet (if you can’t find yellow, use red)
- 1/4 jicama, peeled
- 1 pear
- Scrub the beet and cut out any blemished parts but don’t peel. Peel the jicama
- Put all ingredients through a juicer.
NOTE: This combination of ingredients also makes an excellent quick salad. Chop the vegetables and fruit into a small or medium dice.
Grapefruit & Prune Juice
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 6 prunes, soaked overnight
- Put fresh grapefruit juice into the blender, add pitted prunes and blend well.
NOTE: This is an unlikely combination, but it tastes good and is very moving!!! Eat some of the seeds from the prune pits. You can crack the pit lightly with a hammer.
Carrot, Apple & Beet Milk
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk (see above)
- 1 cup of mixed carrot, apple and beet juice
- Mix the freshly made carrot, apple and beet juices with the Almond Milk